Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Inexplicable gym thoughts

I've been thinking of getting gym membership, but I'm not sure that I can bring myself to do it.

While I enjoy fitness, I generally don't like the idea of gyms, there is something unnatural about standing around in front of mirrors lifting metal. And, while I like the classes, these appear to be the 'women's territory' in the gym. It's not that I don't feel like I am welcome, it's more the looks I get from the beefed-up gents out in the manly metal-lifting section that make me feel uncomfortable.



I also appear to have some inexplicable moral issue about a business that makes its money by signing up 'members' and locking them into contracts so that the 'member' pays irrespective of her/his use of the gym. I often wonder how many gyms would operate profitably if only those that used the gym paid their membership fees. The flip side being how packed would a gym be if every member were to use it on a reasonably regular basis?

Not sure where the moral issue comes from. It seems like a reasonable business decision. It is also the same tactic that my telephone and internet companies use. But for some reason it irks me with gyms.

I should probably get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment